Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bass (the Drum, not the Fish)

I've finally had it with my bass drum. After 24 years of playing drums, I've recently become so disgusted with my bass playing that I've dropped $39.95 to but an instructional video by Matt Ritter.

So far, things are going okay with this, but I'm still not up to snuff, whatever that means. My leg has been killing me, and my control is just so-so. I'm hoping that as I continue to practice things will get better.

To me, bass drum playing is a lot like good grammar: you can still communicate without it. To wit: You ain't got no need for well grammar to communicate more better then anyone else. You got the gist of that, yes? So also with the bass drum: As long as your timing is okay, you can play serviceable drums for ages without any real issues. Such is my life.

Still, it's a crying shame, and as I search the web, it seems that hordes of other drummers share in my woe. Hence, my post, to commiserate with you all. Anybody out there among my scores of readers have any good tips or encouragements? Heel-toe, heel-ball, heel-down, heel-up, toe-ball...all worthy for different playing situations, yes, but then there's superstars like my hero Vinnie Colaiuta who seem to have no issue going with plain 'ol heel-up. Sigh. Oh, Vinnie...when God handed out chops, why'd you have to go and hog them all? Sigh.

1 Comments:

Blogger danny said...

I do like bass. Especially grilled. As far as the drum, well, I can't help you there. Ask Keylon to give you a lesson.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home