Monday, July 14, 2008

A Mid-Summer Night's Random Things

Roman Numerals are appropriate for this list, I think. After all, Edna Krabappel warned that if we don't learn our Roman Numerals, we may never know the year certain films were copyrighted. As Paul would say, "Mh genoito!"

V. Time flies when you're waist deep in chubbs. HCM turned 10 months this weekend. Henry continues to be an extraordinary blessing in our lives, and a tremendous amount of fun, as evidenced by the picture below.



IV. I started reading Darrel Bock's "The Missing Gospels" a week ago. He is quite good at navigating the treacherously confusing waters of ancient gnosticism, and the book promises to be a good read. It addresses the "new school" on Jesus and the gospels that seem to surface into popular culture every now and then (e.g., there are several other written accounts of Jesus' life and ministry that call for a "new" understanding of who he is/was, etc. C.f., books by Elaine Pagels, The Da Vinci Code, etc. No more Latin abbreviations, I promise). There is much I'd like to say about this, but it is all worthy of it's own post. Year 5, perhaps? We'll see. My Harry fans await.

III. I'm also reading Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation" in part to satisfy a newly developed interest in WWII. It is a very interesting read for sure. More on this as well. (Year 6?)

II. The renovations to our dining room are done! As each weekend draws to a close, we come a little bit closer to reclaiming our house. Things were quite disastrous for a while (disastrous = not neat and clean, per my Seinfeldian bent). When you own a smaller home, every square foot is precious, and doubly-so when Lord Chubbington is on the move. It's nice to be back.

I. I'm losing my taste for swimming. More specifically: I'm losing my taste for tepid pool water at 5 in the morning. No matter my technique or best efforts, it seems I always get (and swallow) pool water in my mouth when I swim in the morning, and I'm growing tired of it. I also watched the Olympic swimming trials these past few weeks, and have to concede that I may not be ready for the team in 2012. Sigh. Michael Phelps, you're so dreamy.

O. << It just ocurred to me that there isn't a Roman Numeral for "0." Interesting. This calls for a little historical sleuthing! Did the Roman's not consider zero a number? Had they no need to ever record it? When did zero come on to the scene? Funny how we take for granted such mathematical advances. Anyway, my 0th random thing: My wife and I were discussing favorite meals last night, and I realized that I get most excited when I hear we're having something Mexican for dinner: nachos, tacos, enchiladas, burritos...you get the picture. I was surprised, since I consider myself quite egalitarian when it comes to food (viz. I'll eat anything, and lots of it), but I guess it's true. If only I could update my 8th grade yearbook picture caption with this information. Pizza be damned*, I say! Bring on the tostadas!

*not really...

2 Comments:

Blogger danny said...

Your newfound interest in WWII reminds me of a scene from The Boyfriend episode of Seinfeld (aka, the Keith Hernandez Episode) where George wonders aloud what it takes to become a "buff" (in this case, a Civil War buff).

I can just see you discussing this with BC: "I'd like to become a WWII buff?"...

1:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Look at the cheeks on that kid! what are you feeding that boy?
:-D

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home