Monday, August 25, 2008

One Thought

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I recently read An Evangelical Manifesto. I strongly suggest it for Christians and non-Christians alike. This isn't a wholesale endorsement of everything therein, but it is very well-written, and if nothing else, a catalyst for deeper thinking on Christianity's interaction with culture. I would also argue that it has historical importance as well; not on the level of the 95 Thesis, for sure, but worthy of a half-hour if religion and sociopolitical dynamics have any place on your list of interests.

That said, in the manifesto there is one idea of which I am particularly fond, and is the impetus for this post. I'll paraphrase here without comment: In the first instance, Christians ought to define themselves, and be defined, by what they are for, rather than what they are against.

Anybody else read the manifesto?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home