Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Breakin' the Law, Breakin' the Law...

Ah, Judas Priest, we hardly knew ye...

Before I get into my "problem," I need to explain why I put "problem" in e-quotation fingers: My wife and I, after three solid years without, have finally decided to get a TV. The decision was in large part based on the fact that we were sick of watching movies on my laptop. Generally speaking, I hate television, though perhaps in the same way that a smoker could still hate cigarettes. Television's redeeming qualities are, for me, three shows. (I'll allow the reader to deduce which; hint: one of them is mentioned below). But I digress...

I'm a big fan of "The Office," and since I've been sans-TV for so long, I need to catch up through season 3 before season 4 starts in September. We've watched seasons 1 and 2 (thank you, DVD-inventor), but season 3 won't be out until September, but that's when we need to be watching season 4. Hence, my e-quotation fingers around "problem." It's almost embarassing to call this a problem, because it's such an American, spoiled-rich-kid kind of problem. Another post, perhaps, but for now, I shall press on...

My options for catching up are as follows:
1) Buy all of season 3 on iTunes (~$42)
2) Wait for the DVD's, buy them, and watch them all in one giant, 24-hour loser-marathon
3) Download the episodes from the internet

But, as a follower of Jesus, is option 3 really an option? As far as I can tell, it is legal to record television broadcasts for personal use. Recording for profit, or mass-distribution without permission from the owner (NBC, in this case) is the recording equivalent of counting to 5 with the holy hand grenade: "right out."

So we're up against a Napster-esque problem here, yes? A web-site that offers downloads of a TV show is illegal, as far as I can tell, and technically robs the network, writers, etc., of the monies they are due for producing and broadcasting the show. If I download from such a site, even though my intentions are purely for personal viewing, I'm supporting an illegal practice. Is this wrong?

Thinking Biblically about it, I understand the Scriptures to say that you should submit to the law of the land (e.g., Rom. 13:1-7), so long as it is not in direct contradiction to God's commands (c.f., Acts 4:18-20). As such, I feel that option 3 is truly a non-option.

Still, this is very convicting to me, because (perish the thought!), my law-abiding bent lacks consistency. To wit: I repeatedly and unashamedly violate traffic law on my way to work every day. I rarely observe the speed limit. I'm not dangerous about it, and I go with the flow, but aren't I breaking the law? Ouch.

Herein lies another spoiled-rich-kid "problem" for the Western Christian: drive the speed limit. As a Massachusetts native, this is especially hard. But is speeding not a sin? Let's assume we're not on our way to save anybody's life, nor was there a clear leading of the Spirit to floor it on the way home. Ouch, anyone? Or are my hermeneutics way off base?

2 Comments:

Blogger danny said...

It's hard to write a comment since the wireless signal I'm "borrowing" from someone else isn't very consistent. But I'll press on...

I'd say wait for them to come out on DVD. Or, option #4 is to find someone else who has downloaded them illegally and borrow it from them. That can't be too hard to weasel out of.

I'm not sure, however, that speeding is in the same category. It is understood by everyone that driving faster than the posted speed limit is acceptable within limits. If a cop pulled you over for going 10mph over while in traffic that was travelling at the same speed, you could challenge it and probably win. Also, it's not an activity that assists others in taking money from someone else.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Maybe Danny is right, we should wait until they come out on DVD. We won't be getting much sleep in early September, so why not 'enjoy' our sleepless nights and days watching a show we love!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home