Saturday, September 08, 2007

Son of Ecclesiastes 6:11

Sometimes you just need to get things off your chest. I think blogs are the perfect forum for such chest-getting-offing. You can technically say that you've communicated something of your thoughts or feelings, but you get the risk-free, consequence-free anonymity that has made the Internet what it is today.

I therefore give you my second, (shorter), list of words in the Ecclesiastes 6:11 series. The category today: Words that I wish would come back into common use. (Forgive my simplistic definitions.)

1) Ere (= before). Say this outloud: "I should stop now before I make a fool of myself." Say the same sentence, replacing "before" with "ere." Sounds classier, no?
2) Whence (= from where). "I don't know where it came from." Awful, cumbersome English. "I don't know whence it came." Music.
3) Pate (= top of the head). Nothing fancy here. It's just much cleaner to say "my pate," than "the top of my head."

Anyone want to add to the list?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home